July 12, 2012

Día 7 hasta día 10

Wow! Time is flying by! I find myself desperately wishing that I had a pause button to soak up every bit of this experience that I can, especially because this is my first experience traveling outside of the States. I've learned more than I could possibly describe since arriving in Madrid. I consider myself extremely lucky to have been able to come a bit before the MLSA program started so that I could spend more time in this incredible city. While today marks my 10th day with the program, it's my 22nd day total in Spain. When everything is said and done, I'll have spent approximately 6 weeks total abroad this summer.
My previous posts have been pretty brief primarily because the classes have been demanding in regards to the amount of time they require outside of class. But I have to say that I've loved every minute of the work. The professors are experts in their fields, extremely understanding, and passionate about teaching. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is considering doing a study abroad experience. I was fortunate to be in Madrid during the Eurocup because I was able to see and participate in the celebrations. For any of you who don't pay attention to the world of soccer, the Spanish have accomplished something that has NEVER been done before. They won the Eurocup in 2008, the World Cup in 2010, and the Eurocup again in 2012. It's considered a historical moment and something that isn't likely to be repeated anytime soon. There was a huge celebration throughout Spain that culminated in Madrid. Below you'll see video from when the team was traveling through the streets and the Plaza de Cibeles which is where the celebratory route ended. The atmosphere was electric and there were masses of people that were smiling, dancing, screaming, and celebrating the moment. It was amazing to see the entire country coming together to enjoy the accomplishment. As I reflected on the experience I found myself a bit disappointed that something like this wouldn't really happen in the States. We tend to celebrate victories of our own teams but we don't really have anything that would compare to what I witnessed in Madrid. The next video is a compilation of different things that I've done/seen/visited while here in Spain. You'll notice the following items in the video: Horchata: a drink originally created in Valencia Churros y chocolate: a typical Spanish concoction that's eaten for breakfast or as an evening snack Sites throughout Toledo Sites throughout Madrid including the Palacio Real, the Prado, the Reina Sofia, the Plaza Mayor, etc. Sites throughout Valencia including the area surrounding the Formula 1 track, the Rio Turia, the City of Arts and Sciences, and a great sunset view from a catamaran tour. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That was a very entertaining video. So many great pictures to view. Glad you are enjoying your time in Spain!

    ReplyDelete